Boyfriends, brothers and dad’s LOVE to watch sports. Although they make fun of girls for sweating Gossip Girl, Miami Social, Real Housewives, Bachelorette, they bring the obsession with organized sports to new levels.
Like my boyfriends, my “favorite” teams change just about every 2-3 years. In high school it was obviously Yankess, Giants, Rangers since I’m from CT and we have identity issues when it comes to what jersey to wear. In college it was Yankees, Ravens, Rangers because my boyfriend(s) only had real love for one organized sport and it was go purple or go home. After college I flipped the script a little and met a Long Islander in Manhattan who switched me to Mets, Giants, Rangers…much to my brothers chagrin. Now I’m back in Baltimore and I’ve completely done a back flip off the high dive with Orioles, Redskins, Capitals, Wizards, Terps. So many sports to feign interest in and so little time! Usually I use sports watching time as “me” time, but now it seems to have spread across every season so I have to be creative.
I joined a fantasy football league.
I know, I KNOW, I might as well join twitter. My brother’s advice: Just go with the highest pick available as you fill out each position. Don’t get fancy and you’ll finish in the middle of the pack. That’s all I need to do, not embarrass myself and save face. The season has yet to begin so I thought I’d give a few pointers to ladies out there who are trying this out for the first time.
Drafting for girlfriends:
– On your first pick go with the guys on the top of the list…the lower the number they are the more people want them, kind of like the more a guy ignores you, the more you want him to pay attention to you
– The next couple picks, you can stay at the top of the list…it’s like settling for a JV player but you’re still a freshman so it doesn’t matter…you’ll still make it to prom!
– On your 3-5th picks you’re starting to get cockey because you snagged someone like Peyton or Tom Brady, which means you follow the next tip which is look at the picture when choosing kickers and quarterbacks and then choose the best looking – cleft chins are a plus!
– For running backs and tight ends, you can look for names you recognize because chances are you’ve heard their name called after scoring a touch down on a random Sunday Funday that you weren’t blacked out for
– BIG BONUS, pick players from your boyfriend/brother/dad’s team. Even if the player isn’t great, the feedback will be something like, “he didn’t have a great 2008 season but I think 2009 is going to be his year!”
– Diversify, diversify, diversify! If you’re 9 picks deep and you’re not sure what to do, start picking players from teams that aren’t represented on your roster. I liken it to having a closet full of Jack Rogers…they’re the same but look so much better in different colors!
– You’re down to your last couple picks and you’re starting to sweat and/or you’re so over it…I would say pick at random but my brother advises you can’t have too many running backs. I know you’re probably tempted to pick another quarter back because they tend to be cute, but you really only need two.
– Once you’re finished make sure you send your list to anyone that you care about impressing…
Stay tuned on updates because apparently I’m supposed pick my line up every week?
All in all I would say everyone wins because now I will actually care about who is winning and playing well. I am no longer a fair weather fan! (sike, I’ll agree with my sig oth on this topic…I figure it’s the one thing I won’t be difficult about)
Oh one other thing I would advise if you’re like me…never buy a jersey unless you’ve got a ring on your finger.